April 24, 2012

Thai Chicken Enchiladas Recipe

Pin It
Back before I had kids, when money was fast and easy to come by, my husband and I would eat Thai food at least once a week.  We had a couple of little dives that each did something so wonderful.  One had a Tom Yum Soup to die for.  The other could make a curry to rival all other curries.  Now that we have kids, and no longer live near a good spot, we never eat Thai food.  Breaks my heart a little.  I came across this recipe for Thai Enchiladas and knew I had found an awesome recipe.  For some reason in my mind I thought the sweet Chili Sauce called for in the recipe was actually going to be sweet.  It wasn't!  My husband and I can handle the heat..but my tiny shrimps don't handle it so well.  Surprisingly my older daughter ate half an Enchilada (mostly with her hands) before she declared it to be too spicy.  She informed me that her mouth and hands were spicy.  My baby also ate way more than I expected her to.  I figured the baby would look at them and run away.  So, this recipe is great for adults and good to let your kids try out.

Just a side note, but next time I make these I will be sure to have fresh lime wedges on hand.  I think the Lime juice would add just the right flavor to make these perfect.

P.S.  My first Blogiversary passed on April 10th and I didn't even notice!!  I just want to thank everyone who reads my blog and I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

You will need  a couple of Chicken Breasts, Non-stick Spray, Onion, Tortillas, Garlic, Peanuts, Sweet Chili Sauce, Coconut Milk, Cilantro, Cabbage, Carrots, Canola Oil, and Green Onion.


Cook the Chicken..I just boring old boiled mine with a bit of Salt.

Shred the Cabbage and Carrots.

Chop up the Onion and Mince the Garlic. 
Add the Carrots, Cabbage, and Onion to a skillet that is warmed over Medium heat.

Also add in the Garlic and mix everything together so it cooks evenly.

Roughly chop the Cilantro and the Green Onion.

Put the Peanuts in a zip top baggie, seal, and pound with your meat mallet until they are broken up.

Add some of the Peanuts into the skillet along with the Cilantro and Green onion.

Doesn't this look so pretty!
Add in the Coconut Milk and the Sweet (actually very spicy) Chili Sauce.

I love the look of the little flecks of sweet Chili Sauce!

In a medium bowl mix together a bit of the Coconut Milk and a bit more Sweet Chili Sauce.

Whisk it together well.  If you don't like spicy start of slowly with the Sweet Chili Sauce and add more from there.

Spray the pan with non-stick Cooking Spray then cover the bottom of the pan with the Coconut Milk/ Sweet Chili Sauce mixture.

Grab a Tortilla and place a bit of the Chicken mixture in the middle.
Roll up the Tortilla and place in the pan with the seam down.


After you have rolled all the Enchiladas cover them with the remaining sauce.

Bake 350 degrees for 20 minutes.

Use a spoon and spoon the sauce from the side over the top of the cooked Enchiladas.

Top with a bit more of the Peanuts and Cilantro.


Enjoy!

My oldest eating the spicy Enchiladas.  Still can't believe she ate so much!


After eating the spicy Enchiladas, my baby needed an orange to cool her mouth off.





Thai Chicken Enchiladas Recipe
Source:  How Sweet it is

8 Tortillas
2 Chicken Breasts, cooked and shredded
1 TBSP Canola Oil
1/2 Onion, diced
1/3 C Shredded Carrots
1/2 C Shredded Cabbage
4 Garlic Cloves, minced
Salt & Pepper to taste
4 Green Onions, sliced
1/3 C Crushed Peanuts plus a bit more for Garnish
1/4 C Cilantro, roughly chopped plus a bit more for Garnish
2 1/2 C Light Coconut Milk
1/3 C plus 1/2 C (less if you don't like spicy) Sweet Chili Sauce

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.

Heat a pan over medium heat and add in the Canola Oil.  When the pan is warm add in the Onion, Cabbage, Carrots, Garlic and a bit of Salt & Pepper.  Stir together well.  Cook for about 5-7 minutes to soften the veggies a little.  Add in the Chicken, Green Onions, Peanuts, and Cilantro.  Mix together well.  Cook for 2 minutes then add in the 3/4 C Coconut Milk and the 1/3 C Sweet Chili Sauce.  Remove from the heat.


In a medium bowl combine the remaining Thai Chili Sauce and the remaining Coconut Milk.  Whisk them together very well.  Spray a 9x13 dish with non-stick spray then cover the bottom with some of the Coconut milk/ Chili Sauce mixture.  Grab a Tortilla and place some of the Chicken mixture in the middle.  Roll it up and place it in the baking dish with the seam down.  When all of the Tortillas are rolled up pour the remaining sauce on top.

Cook for 20 minutes.  When you remove the pan from the oven use a spoon and grab a bit of the sauce from the edge of the pan and pour it over the top.  Then Garnish with a bit of Peanuts and a bit of Cilantro.

Enjoy! 

P.S.S.

I am going to participate in a Blog trading spaces activity!  I am excited and you should check it out too :)





Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment