February 27, 2012

Kettle Corn Recipe

Pin It
One of my favorite things to do at the end of the summer is going to the State Fair.  I love everything about the State Fair.  I love the animals, the weird people, the silly games they have, the butter sculpture, the fancy decorated gourds, and the food.  Oh, the food!  State Fair food has got to be some of the best food available!  Every year I look forward to trying some new and exciting foods at the State Fair..but I usually end up getting the same thing.  Moochies meatball sandwich and Kettle Corn.  I have tried the bagged Kettle Corn that you cook up in your microwave and have determined them to be rubbish.  When I came across this recipe from Our Best Bites I had to give it a try.  I am so glad I did because this turned out so well!  It was delicious and I have now made it several times.


You will need Canola Oil, Popcorn, Salt, and Sugar.

Heat a pan over medium heat and wait until it gets good and warm. 

Mix together the Sugar and Popcorn in a small bowl so it is ready to go.

Add the Oil to the hot pan and let it warm up.
Dump in the Popcorn/Sugar mixture.


Quickly stir around with a rubber spatula.  Hustle cause you don't want to Corn to start popping!

Place the lid on the pot. 
It's extra fun with a glass lid so you can watch as the action unfolds.

Stretch a clean dish towel over the top of the lid and hold onto it at each of the handles.  Then shake vigorously.  We are trying to coat the pieces so shake it like crazy.  Then put it back on the burner.

Shake the mixture about every twenty seconds to avoid burnt sugar ruining your yummy Kettle Corn.  When the corn is mostly popped remove from the heat.  Give it a good stir.

Measure out your salt and sprinkle it over the Kettle Corn.

Oh Yeah!

Enjoy!


Kettle Corn Recipe
Source: Our Best Bites

3 TBSP Canola Oil
1/3 C Popcorn
3 TBSP Sugar
Big pinch salt

Warm a Large pot over medium heat.  Add the canola oil.

Meanwhile, add the Popcorn kernels and Sugar to a small bowl and mix them together.  The original recipe suggests that you watch the oil for it to smoke to make sure the oil is at the right temperature.  I have tried and tried to see the smoke but have never been able to see it.  Perhaps my pan is too shiny.  So I just toss the Pop Corn kernels and Sugar mixture in when I feel it is hot enough.  It has turned out great every time.  Right after adding the corn/sugar you will want to give it a good quick stir.  Then pop the lid on top of the pan.

Take a clean dish towel and stretch it from one pot handle to the other over the lid.  Hold it securely with both hands and shake your pot vigorously for a couple of seconds.  Replace on the heat and repeat this step about every twenty seconds.    

The Corn will start popping and you will want to listen for it to slow down.  When most of the corn is popped remove from the heat and stir right away.  Sprinkle with the salt and stir it all together.  Let cool a little to avoid hot sugar burns.

Enjoy! Pin It

4 comments:

  1. Could I make this with a regular oil popper? Do you think I could just add the sugar to the popper. It has a stirrer built right in!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I imagine you could use that and get the same results. The only thing I would worry about is if you can wash your oil popper or not. If you can't I wonder if the sugar will just burn?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohh that looks delish! I love popcorn!

    Adele @ Mammy Made

    ReplyDelete
  4. Adele, you will have to try it! This is such a yummy treat that comes together very quickly and easily. Thanks for looking around :)

    ReplyDelete