July 18, 2011

Cornmeal Pancakes Recipe

Pin It
I'm back with more pancakes!  I bout some Bob's Red Mill cornmeal for the Polenta Recipe I made recently and still had over half the package left to use.  Now I love me some cornbread but wanted to try something new.  I found the following recipe on the package and decided to give it a whirl because I also love me some pancakes.  I've had these 3 times now and have really enjoyed them each time.  They make a thin pancake with a nutty texture.  They aren't a sweet pancake so I like to serve them with a little butter and a sprinkling of sugar.  So good!  I especially like them as leftovers warmed up in my toaster.


You will need Buttermilk (I've also tried this with the trick of putting a tsp of Vinegar in the cup and filling the rest with milk and it works awesome), Eggs, Salt, Cornmeal, Canola Oil, Whole Wheat Flour, Hot water, Baking Soda, and Baking Powder.
Add the Cornmeal into a bowl and add the Hot Water.  Mix it all together well.  Through trial I have decided that it is a good idea to let it sit a couple minutes and soften.
Add the Buttermilk and the Eggs and whisk it all together.
Now add the Flour, Salt, Baking Powder, and Baking Soda.  Try not to overmix.  The instructions suggest that you sift the dry ingredients in..I could not be bothered to do that step.  Then stir in the Canola Oil.
Using your favorite circular Griddle warm it up over Medium heat.  Once warm place about 1/4 cup of the mix and start cooking.  The batter is a bit on the thin side go slowly to ensure the cakes don't run together.
Cook on each side until brown and delicious.
Enjoy!


Cornmeal Pancakes Recipe
Source:  Bob's Red Mill 

1 C Boiling Water
3/4 C Bob's Red Mill Medium Grind Cornmeal
1 1/4 C Buttermilk
2 Eggs
1 C Whole Wheat Flour
1 TBSP Baking Powder
1 tsp Salt
1/4 tsp Baking Soda
1/4 C Canola Oil

Pour the water over the Cornmeal and stir until it gets thick.  Let it sit a few minutes to help everything soften a bit.  Add the Buttermilk and beat in the eggs.  Add the dry ingredients and mix together, trying not to overmix.  Stir in the Canola oil.  Cook on a hot ungreased griddle about 1/4 cup of mix per cake.

Enjoy!

Approximately 14 Pancakes
Nutritional info per pancake

114 Calories
12.5 Carbs
6 Fat
3 Protein Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment